A Brief History of Fenelon Township Public School
Though Fenelon Township Public School was opened in 1967, its history can be traced back to the 1840s with the establishment of the first schools in the area. As populations grew in the mid 19th Century, a variety of Section Schools were opened in Fenelon Township:-
|S.S. #3||Fenelon Falls||1848|
|S.S. #4||Powles Corners||1856|
|S.S. #7||Pleasant Point (a.k.a. Hay’s School)||1857|
|S.S. #8||Cameron Point (a.k.a. Isaac’s School)||1860|
|S.S. #10||Long Point||1867|
|S.S. #11||Blythe School||1841 (uncertain)|
|S.S. #12||Fell’s School||1869|
In order to accommodate changing populations and educational pedagogy, a number of amalgamations of school sections occurred during the first half of the 20th Century. In 1967, S.S. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10 were consolidated and Fenelon Township Public School opened its doors. The local, one-room schoolhouses were closed and sold. Additions to the current school building over the years have included an extension on the primary wing, the library-resource centre, and the use of 4 portable classrooms for many years.
A detailed history of the Cameron school can be found in Jim McKechnie’s 1980 M.S. Graduate Studies essay, Cameron School -by JMcKechnie. Further information on the history of Fenelon Township’s schools can be found in “A History of Fenelon Township, 1987”.